Friday, 8 January 2016

In the flow...


Hello my friends, how is your new year going? I don't have any great plans for 2016, with a busy family life when there is always something going on I just wish for steadiness and peace and quiet. The roller coaster of dramas in our house is enough excitement for me thank you! Anyway, later this year my eldest daughter will be heading off to university and my youngest daughter starting school, so there will be changes and adjustments to deal with then (sob)

I'm not really doing any resolutions either, just the ongoing futile attempts at eating more healthily, being more organised and not buying so much yarn. As usual at this time of year there is the desire to finish up long-languishing WIP's but whether I will or not remains to be seen. In the meantime I can show you my finished #adventsockkal socks that I am delighted with. They have actually been re-christened 'snazzy socks' after a comment left on the Instagram post I put up about them. I had struggled to keep up with knitting on them each day of December, but with some concerted effort on Christmas eve, I managed to finish them on Christmas day itself as I just had the kitchener stitch to do. I had just put the turkey in the oven and everyone was happily occupied with their gifts and toys so i took the opportunity to finish them off and then wore them for the rest of the day (and the next day too).
Hand knitted socks are just great, especially made with such lovely yarn. It feels like a treat every time I put them on!



I want to share with you this shawl I've been knitting on for some time. It keeps getting put away and taken out again, but now I'm on the lace border, which is lovely, the end is in sight. The pattern is the Potter's Shawl by Jen Lucas from the Interweave Spring 2015 magazine. The main body is easy garter stitch but the lace edging needs more concentration, although it isn't difficult you do need to keep track of where you are. Well I do anyway, so I only pick it up to work on when I know I won't be interrupted.  This means it's slow going but that's ok because the yarn is lovely and a real pleasure to knit with. I like the fact that I associate it with stillness and quietness, a time when I can concentrate on the stitches and get into the flow , I am of course looking forward to finishing and wearing this shawl, but enjoying the process of making it is so rewarding too.



Another of the WIP's of mine is this baby blanket I'm crocheting. I really like the colours of this Sirdar Snuggly dk yarn. I picked up my first 'batch' in Hobbycraft and paid £3.90 per 50g ball. Of course  I hadn't bought enough to complete the blanket (I always seem to underestimate) so I popped back to the store to get more knowing they had the 3 for 2 offer on all yarn. I was really annoyed to discover that the price had been increased to £4.90 per 50g ball! It (the 3 for 2 offer) still meant a saving, but I get so annoyed with the sneaky tactics of the big companies when they do this. You think you are getting a bargain but it's not the case. I've checked online too and the yarn is about £3.15 per ball in some places.  Regardless of this I'm really happy with the way the colours are working up in the Puff & Ripple pattern (soon to be released if I can get my finger out!)


I hope you have  lovely weekend my friends, whatever you may be up to. Make sure you find time for some crafting of your choice and get into the flow - it's so good for your soul :o)

take care, 'till next time...
                                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment