Tuesday, 24 November 2015

Ramona Cardigan







I've had a run of finishing things of late. Because I often always have several WIPs on the go at the same time, there comes a point when they all seem to reach completion together. The first thing off the needles was my Ramona Cardigan, a design by Elizabeth Smith, made in Berroco Vintage in shades 5195 - Macaron and 5116 - Dove, a beginner friendly Aran weight yarn that is a mix of acrylic, wool and nylon. Lovely to work with, especially in these subtle colours. I had 4 skeins of the Macaron shade knocking about for ages and was in doubt whether it would be enough to make the whole cardigan, so I ordered the dove as a contrast and am really delighted with the outcome.

I had this pattern on my 'want to make' list for a while and it was a few weeks back when I sewed my vintage skirt that I remembered about the yarn and just knew it would match well with the faded roses on the printed fabric. I love being able to make a handmade 'outfit' although I've yet to wear them together. I tried the cardigan on once I'd finished the ends, and ended up keeping it on as it was a chilly day and I didn't want to take it off. The buttons I bought at Festiwool from textile garden and love the way they finish it off - being mis-matched gives it a 'kooky' feel that I'm keen on.

This was such a satisfying project, from beginning to end. It's worked top-down and the sleeves are knitted in the round. I used, for the first time, the magic loop method to do the sleeves and am chuffed I now know how to do it. I'm still using DPN's for socks right now, at some point I will buy a 2.25mm circular needle and have a go at magic loop socks too.

So yeah, this one ticks all the boxes. I really, really enjoyed knitting it, it fits well and I love the style. I'll spare you a selfie this time as I'm full of cold and look frightful with a bright red nose, sallow completion and limp hair. Lovely.

I hope you guys are all well and are enjoying a creative zest. I'm sure mine will return in a few days :o)

'till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment