Friday, 6 February 2015

Little Knitting






Out of my four children, my youngest looks the most like me. Well, she's blond with blue eyes and I've always had brown hair and hazel eyes - but the other features are very similar.

It's only fair as even from birth, my son has looked strikingly like his father, with many, many people commenting on this over time. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, as they say.

When my little girl was born I said to my older brother that I felt like I'd seen her before. He said I had. In the faces of all her relatives that I'd already met. It made a lot of sense to me.
(My big brother is very wise and comes out with these classic gold nuggets often. I'm looking forward to seeing him and his family at Easter, hopefully)

The hat and mitts were made from Stylecraft special dk in colours Aspen and Fondant and were my attempt at different knitting skills that I hadn't tried before. The small shaping of the thumb on the mitts was something I'd feared but found easier than I anticipated, and making the icord to thread through the sleeves was just amazing as I initially considered just making a crochet chain because I assumed the icord would be much too fiddly.

The hat was worked on the round. I have used circular needles to knit on before, but only for straight knitting. I prefer circular needles as I don't really like the way straight ones stick out at my sides, and get caught in my sleeves. The circular ones are more compact. This was the first time I'd joined my work into a continuous circle though, and it seemed to work out just fine! (yes I am in wonder that I've done this - anyone would think I just completed a majorly difficult task, rather than fairly basic knitting :o)
The only short circular needles I had were a size 3.25mm and this means the hat has come out a bit on the small side. It's ok when first put on but it slowly rides up her head and then sits balance on the top Dappy style. Still cute though.

Pattern for hat can be found here.
Tute for icord I used is here.
And the mitts pattern was from a Dorling Kindersley book entitled "Baby & Toddler Knits Made Easy" you can get from The Book People here.
Coat models own.

'till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment