Wednesday, 18 February 2015

Craft Corridor Sort Out

Hello there my friends, it's been nearly a fortnight since I last came and said hello. Sorry about that, been rather busy!

Lots of family stuff, or really kids stuff! School consultation evenings for all of them, and even at the nursery for my 2year old :o) and then extra school information events as my middle daughter is choosing her options and my son will be doing his sats in May. As well as that my eldest has 'starred' in a couple of drama productions, at school and through her Saturday drama group so I have been able to go and watch her perform, and drive her to all the rehearsals etc. Lets not mention the usual ballet classes and drum lessons and toilet training my youngest and my head spins with it all. If I moan about it my husband just says one word: 'choices'. Yes alright, I know it was our choice to have a big family but boy it can be hard work! I really don't know how the 17 kids and counting family cope!

On the plus side it's good to know the children are all doing well, and I do feel it's important to have lots of communication with their teachers (who in my eyes are doing a grand job), even if it does mean my evenings crafting away are limited :o)

Talking of crafting, because that's what this blog is mostly about after all, I'll show you bits and pieces of what I've been up to, when I've had a minute!

I'm in the process of trying to get a few WIP finished, and this new dress for my patchwork sewing machine is one of them.




These fun sewing print fabrics are perfect for the new dress, I love all the little cute pictures of haberdashery bits and bobs. I'm very pleased with the 'fit', I like how neat it looks and I added the front pocket, with a nod to my love of crochet with the pink trim, mainly to keep the machine instruction manual in, as I could never find it when I needed it!

The cute pincushion is from Jessie's (Messyjessecrafts) pattern featured in issue 17 of Love Patchwork and Quilting magazine. I've tried to do fussy cutting for the diamond shapes, which is harder than it looks, to show the little sewing icons well. And I do think I need to perfect my whip stitching technique :o)


I've also been trying to get more organised in my Craft Corridor, sorting fabrics by colour, and building CD units to hold it in.



It is really quite difficult getting a photo of this small area, I have to stand in the cupboard under the stairs to get far enough away. And that is not that far at all.

Since taking the above photo there has been 2 new editions to this area:



A new padded seat cover for the stool I sit on when sewing on ol' dusty (this industrial machine has been with me years and is ugly, oily and dusty but sews really well, especially on thicker fabrics) I made a cross stitch rose pattern, which is a technique I've wanted to try out for ages, to pretty the pad up and from a distance at least I think it looks fab.


And then I found a frameless cork board in Tescos for £3.50 which I covered in this fun print fabric. I liked Sandra's idea of her pretty framed board, and this is my simple version. I used my hot glue gun to attach the fabric at the back.




Oh how I love my bijoux crafting corridor! It's a bit cluttered and compact, and I will certainly move to a bigger space if the opportunity arises in the future. But for now I'm content in this little space that I can keep my equipment and stash stored, and I spread out to the rest of the house to actually work in. 

BTW, because the ceiling is glass here, if the sun is quite strong and glaring I do have the problem of it bleaching any fabrics I have out, but I do like them out on display. I'm on the lookout for some clearish sticky film type thing that I can stick to the inside of the glass that will reduce the UV rays, but not block out too much light. So if you know of any such thing I'd appreciate any info!

I've really enjoyed showing you around my craft corridor, and my few little makes that I've managed to get finished. I have another couple of finished WIP's that are lined up for some posts, so I will be back with them soon!

Fabric info: Fabric used for the sewing machine dress I bought from here (they are Makeower prints), and the granny square fabric I covered the cork board in is from here.

Have a happy crafty week my friends,
'till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment