Saturday, 4 October 2014

More Cake...?



The other week my husband was in London. It was the anniversary of Marc Bolans death and he'd gone up with his friend for their traditional trip up to the 'tree'

And to go record shopping of course.

My phone went off mid-afternoon, it was my husband.
"Babe, babe. I'm outside Loop. Is there anything you need?"

What?
The question was asked in an urgent tone as if I had 60 seconds to answer it or my chance would be missed. My mind raced. Loop - an amazing yarntopia of gorgeous hand dyed skeins in wonderful, beautiful colours and textures. Oh my goodness, just the thought of it makes my heart race! 
And expensive too. Do I dare ask what the budget was?

No. Anyway, not being there to choose something I liked to buy for the sake of it made this difficult. So I was about tell him not to worry, I didn't 'need' anything.  However I was really touched by my husbands thoughtfulness and he obviously wanted to buy me a little gift (just how much had he spent on records, I wondered?)

And then inspiration hit me. 
"can you pick up the latest copy of Pom Pom for me please?"
And then I hear him collar one of the assistants to find the mag for him to buy...


Pom Pom Issue 10 has some gorgeous patterns in, although some of them look a bit complicated for my knitting skills right now.

But there is also a lovely recipe for Spiced Apple and Bramble Cake. I said in my past post how I tend to stick to the same 3 or 4 cakes, which is true on the whole. I generally make victoria sponge (adding coco powder for the chocolate version). For more of a luxury chocolate cake that goes down with my family of gannets* I will do the fudge cake as I have for the last 2 birthdays and then when I'm feeling flush I'll treat everyone to some chocolate brownies. 
This apple cake may get added to this list. It has a mix of white and wholemeal flour and it's fairly low on the sugar amount, making it the healthy version in the cake world. It is easy to make - apart from the grating apples bit - and it is delicious. 
It's great for that 4pm slump when you need something to keep you going, but when you're 'trying' to be good!

*
I realised last night that I have only got a few more rows to go of the stocking stitch on my Lady Kina cardigan and then I can do the 4cm garter stitch hem border. Yay! And as once I've cast off (and dealt with the few ends) it's done. No seams to sew or sleeves to knit. The beauty of the pattern is that it's all made in one go. Genius!

So fingers crossed I will finish it this weekend and be able to show you all next week.


'till next time...

                                                                

*The gannet's supposed capacity for eating large quantities of fish has led to "gannet" becoming a disapproving description of somebody who eats excessively, similar to "glutton".

No comments:

Post a Comment