Monday, 29 September 2014

Chocolate and checks


Morning all! 
This cake has all gone now. To be honest it didn't last long! I made it for my #2 fourteenth birthday a few weeks ago. She requested any cake but she wanted the raspberries on top (she adores raspberries and could easily eat a punnet to herself). I fell back on the old favourite again - Nigellas chocolate fudge, with the added 'Fabulous' chocolate fingers holding fort around the sides. I do tend to play it safe and stick to the same 3 or 4 recipes, but I know they work and the family love them.

Saffron in her cake and coffee shop 'Fancy'

My friend Saffron has been baking the technical bakes that are featured on The Great British Bake Off and has been doing the write up on her blog. She's got some great recipes on there and this tiramisu cake one looks divine! If I'm feeling brave some time I might try it. Either that or I might just head over to Fancy to have a catch up chat and test out her freshly baked wares!!!


I've finished off the chair cover for my other (also very talented) friend Linda:

I tried styling this photo with a casually flung crochet throw but not sure it works at all really!
She has this gorgeous hand-made chair and she asked me to show it some love with new foam and cover. She choose this smart dog-tooth check upholstery fabric and the plain grey used for the piping is left over for the curtains I made her last year. I ordered the foam from here - it's a brilliant site that you can type in your foam dimensions and they cut to size / shape. Loads easier than trying it yourself with an electric kitchen knife - I know this, it was a massacre.


I made a envelope type flap at the back to help keep the cushion on the chair and stop it from falling forward. There is some fabric left over that I will use to make a scatter cushion or two. 

You may remember I told you how we swap skills - I do sewing for Linda and she does garden design and planting for me. This is what we were up to last year.
I'm looking forward to her coming to plant up another border, even more so to next spring when it will bloom to all it's glory!


and talking of the garden, the Michaelmas Daisy is certainly the star of the show at the moment.

“The Michaelmas Daisies, among dede weeds, 
Bloom for St Michael's valorous deeds.
And seems the last of flowers that stood,
Till the feast of St. Simon and St. Jude.”
(The Feast of St. Simon and Jude is 28 October)

Apparently the act of giving Michaelmas Daisies symbolises saying farewell so I will say ta-ta for now,
'till next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment