Sunday, 9 March 2014

Pretty Flower Granny Square

Hello there, hope you all are well today?


A short while ago I posted photos of a cushion I had made and entitled Calming Cushion.  I had lots of comments so thank you for your lovely compliments! One lady said she would've liked to have seen a full tutorial on how to complete the cushion and so as not to disappoint here is the pattern and a few hopefully helpful photos of the square I made for the back of the cushion. The front square and the joining method is by Mille Makes and the tutorial can be found here. These back squares were born because I wanted a flatter square for the cushion back that had the same amount of stitches as the front so when I joined the front and back together they would fit!



Going back over the pattern it did occur to me that this is very similar to one of my favourite granny squares, Rosie Posy Granny Square by the lovely Sandra - so no wonder I like it too! It is a looser, more open version though with a few differences, but it does bring to mind the whole subject of originality. There is nothing unique or original about this, it's just "what I did". I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, I just like the way it feels :0)  So if you're happy with that, here we go!

Ch 4, join with ss to form ring.

Rnd 1: ch 1 (does not count as stitch) 8dc into ring. ss to first dc to close round.



Rnd 2: ch 2, tr 2 tog into same dc that you made the ss into, ch 3. tr 3 tog ch 3 into next dc and repeat 6 more times. ss into top of first tr 2 tog to close round. (8 petal shapes)

Rnd 3: ss into ch space ch 2, tr 2 tog and ch 3 in same ch space, (tr 3 tog, ch 3) again in same ch sp. (tr 3 tog, ch 3, tr 3 tog, ch 3) in next ch space and repeat 6 times. Join with ss to top of first tr 2 tog to close round. (16 petal shapes). ss into next 2 ch space. 



Rnd 4: ch 2, 2 htr in ch space,  3 tr into next ch space, (3 dtr, 2ch, 3 dtr) in next ch space. * 3 tr in next ch space, 3 half tr in next ch space, 3 tr in next ch space, (3 dtr, 2ch, 3 dtr) in next ch space. Repeat from * 2 more times. 3 tr in next ch space, and then ss into top of starting ch to close round.



How to:-

tr 2 tog : *yo, hook into st and pull through loop, yo, pull through 2 middle loops, yo, hook back into same st and pull loop through, yo, pull through first 2 loops on hook,* yo and pull through remaining 3 loops on hook. (yo is yarn over)

tr 3 tog : do as above from * to * yo, hook back into same stitch again and pull loop through (5 loops on hook) yo, pull through first 2 loops, yo and pull through remaining 4 loops on hook.

I hope I've explained that all okay for you and if you do have a go it works out well. As always leave a comment if you spot any errors!! 

You can pop over to the original post here about the calming cushion as I've updated it to explain how I finished the cushion off.

Happy Hooking!!

'till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment