Tuesday, 18 February 2014

Calming Cushion

Hello Lovelies, how are you today?  It's the school half term here and I am trying very hard to keep my chin up. Yes, bit of a negative start to this week off, so I am going to have a good old go at turning things around to more of a positive slant as I don't like it when things are not harmonious.

I generally love the busyness of our house. With the 6 of us here there are always lots of things to do, stuff going on, mess everywhere and plenty of comings and goings and that is how it is. And I love it.

But sometimes, just sometimes, I do seek a little sanctuary.  Taking myself off to my bedroom, away from the TV, the toys and the hustle and bustle is good for my soul. I like to 'tidy my bedroom' (I wish others did too) and to prettify it. My four star quilt still lives on my bed and it makes making the bed a pleasure so I can smooth it over and admire it's loveliness. I have a crochet throw in mind that I would like to make to go at the end of the bed to add a layered look, and a few cushions added in would be good.

So in an attempt to clear the decks of all the WIP's I have (the resolution itself is still a work in progress!) a few weeks back I picked up a little project that I had barely started. I had made one square of this, so does that count as a project in progress, or just a 'work just started' WJS? Well either way I was quite motivated to carry on and I really enjoyed making this pattern, it really is lovely to crochet. (So why didn't I finish it at the time? I don't know...)


You may recognise it as the 'something pretty' pattern. I have seen it around a lot and it really sings out to me, it is something of a classic. I had these jades and aqua colours in mind, and just wanted to give it a go.


The front of my cushion here is made up of the gorgeous puffy circles. It is very tactile, the puffs stand out well.




The back squares were made the same except I replaced the puff (or popcorn) stitches with a 3 treble cluster stitch. A nice little square.


The front



The back (I like this side just as much as the front)


Button opening.

The one square and 5 balls of yarn had stared at me for so long it's almost weird that now it's done! I love this pattern so much, I will use it again.


Here's the link to my Ravelry page for yarn details if you're interested. When I put photos of this on Instagram there were lots of comments that the colours were calming - hence the name, and of course why it lives in my bedroom. So I can calm myself down away from the maniacs that rule my life!!

I love 'em all really :0)

have a great day!!

'till next time...

 
EDIT: After a request for info on how I finished this cushion off I'm just adding on a few instructions. As I said the front square and the joining method is from Mille Makes here. I have written out the pattern with a few photos for the back square which I have named 'Pretty Flower Granny Square' and you can find it here. The back squares were joined using the same method as the front.
Once all the squares were joined I made one row all around in dc in each stitch (1dc, 1ch, 1dc in corners) I then did a second round using 1tr in each stitch (3tr in corners) This is the same front and back. 
To join the pieces together I held them wrong sides facing and starting 10 stitches before a corner. I made 1dc in each stitch going through both layers of the front and the back, (I didn't do any extra stitches in the corners on this round) continuing around and finishing 10 stitches past the fourth corner. This meant I had 3 sides completely joined and one side with an opening. Then using a darning needle and matching thread I made the button loops on the front cushion opening edge, big enough for the buttons I was using and spaced evenly. I hope these photos of a sample illustrate how I did it as I'm having trouble trying to put it into words!

A test piece and obviously using the pink yarn is just so you can see easily how I made the loops. I went over twice so the loop is actually made up of 2 strands.
 Hopefully you can see I made the loop over 3 stitches,  but it would depend on how big your buttons are to how many stitches you need. The buttons I used are 1.4cm.


I then go back over this edge with 1dc in each stitch and 3 dc in each loop. I then continued along the edge of the back piece in the same way but without the button loops. Weave in ends securely, including the ones from the button loops. Stitch on buttons to the edge of the back piece, matching the position of the loops on the front.
So I realise this isn't the best of tutorials as I have written this out well after finishing off the cushion! If I'm honest I wasn't expecting anyone to want more details!! I hope it's enough to understand if you are trying to make a cushion.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment