Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Birthday Granny Stripe


Hello my friends and my new friends too, welcome to betsymakes  ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My family is 2 thirds through our birthday season, with just my middle daughter and my husband still to celebrate in September and October. My eldest daughter turned 15 on Sunday and as she had asked for a crochet blanket I was happy and relieved to get this finished in time for her special day.


She really loves it, bless her and snuggles into it whilst surfing the Internet late into the night, eh-emm...


I will admit to it being one of those projects that I needed motivation to get it done so I would lay it out on her bed to check the size and visualise it finished.


I was very happy to reach border stage as it meant I was on the homeward straight and choose to do a few rows of granny-stripes and then a soft scallop edge to finish.


It is made with the trusty Stylecraft Special DK in colours:

  • Cream
  • Pale Rose
  • Denim
  • Grape
  • Parchment
  • Aspen
  • Magenta
  • Pomegranate
  • and Turquoise
the pattern is immediately recognisable as Attic 24's granny stripe that can be found here (thank you Lucy).
Size wise it comes up as 145cm x 182cm, (single bed size)


Isn't it wonderful to be able to make things for loved ones? Being such an emotional soul as I am I'm sure all my feelings I'd felt for my daughter whilst hooking this have been absorbed by it and will stay in the blanket for evermore. From being cross with her for staying up too late (er, yes), being frustrated with her because she doesn't see herself as the wonderful young woman that she is, worrying about her when she's down and loving her so much that it hurts. She can really challenge me at times but I'm so proud of my bright, intelligent, funny, beautiful first born.


And she's very cool as she loves crochet!

Another thing she loves is Doctor Who so I made these Dalek cupcakes (courtesy of Lakeland) for her. There is a great range of Doctor Who cake related goodies as it's the Doctor's 50th anniversary this year.


I had shoved those red and blue candles in as an emergency measure because I had broken the figure 5 candle that I was going to use for the number 15. I did occur to me however that they look like the plunger and whisk  of the real Daleks and I should've used them in all the cakes. 

The night before my daughter's birthday I remembered that she wanted a slouch beanie and had been looking through Ravelry for patterns and adding them to my favourites, so even though time was of an essence I managed to whip up a hat for her in the denim (or Tardis Blue) Stylecraft. Pattern from here.


We had a lovely time Sunday with our family around to celebrate.

 Gosh I've been a mother for 15 years! In that times I've got some things right and loads of things wrong, but have felt more love both for and from my children than I could ever have imagined it possible to feel. 

'till next time....

                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment