Tuesday, 30 July 2013

Quite Contrary wrap

I'm tentatively starting this post as I have been 'experiencing technical difficulties' of late and I'm wondering how far I will get with this...
But hello anyway, I do hope you are all well and enjoying yourself in your own chosen method of funness (sounds rude and not meant to but if you are having rude fun, well good for you!)

I enjoyed a very pleasant morning this Sunday just gone at Fibre East, a most amazing yarn fair that, to be quite honest blew me away as I really wasn't expecting it to be such a huge event. Thus being the case and the fact that I'm so not organised and so unprepared and so not a very good blogger at all I didn't take a camera and so am unable to show you the absolute delights of basket upon little cubby-hole type shelving things full of gorgeous yarns, of all colours and fibres, mostly natural and all amazing quality. As well as that there were some beautiful hand-made buttons that I wished I had bought and lots of vintage sewing and crochet things located near the entrance that I regret not going back to. Lovely Sharron has posted her photos here if you'd like to see

But what made the experience even more delightful was that I met up with Sandra from Cherry Heart blog. She really is a very lovely, sweet person and I was able to take advantage of her extensive yarn knowledge while making my purchases and came away with amongst other things some lace weight yarn to crochet a shawl. I have never worked with anything so light before so I will let you know how I get on with that.
And spending time with the super-talented lady reminded me that I have yet to post about my Quite Contrary Wrap that I made mostly while away on holiday - which is Sandra's pattern that you are able to buy from her blog here.


So as I said I took this away with me as my holiday project and it really does remind me of our trip to Menorca back in June that I enjoyed so, so much. ( Although I did finish it off at home while watching Spring Watch and the edging reminds me of Chris Packham talking of birds feeding their young in the nest which makes me think of me back and forth to Tescos bringing food home to my bunch of gannets)
I digress...


Crocheting outside in the sunshine, by the pool, on the beach, in the little garden near our appartment was so relaxing and enjoyable.


I did run out of yarn and had to order some more. This was totally my fault as I didn't check my tension and although the size it finished up wasn't crucial the tension checking thing is very useful to make sure you do have enough yarn to complete the project!!! Lesson learnt. The people at Art of Yarn were very helpful and I was able to get another 50g of the same dye lot. I used Jenny Watson pure merino DK in denim.


It did take a while to get round to blocking this as I was a bit scared I would ruin it. But after a dunk in some softly warm water I lay it out on the floor and loved the way the pattern came out and showed the pretty maids all in a row!!


and the edging, oh the edging! I love it so much, it really is very pretty.




I loved making this shawl, the pattern is well written and easy to follow and I'm very happy with the finished article :-)


'till next time....

                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment