Monday, 11 February 2013

Rainbow Ripple Showcase

Yay hey hey, ALL DONE!!!!!
Sorry for being a bit over excited, but I'm pleased to announce the completion of my rainbow ripple blanket. And it does feel like 'an announcement' as this project has always been a big deal for me, I think mainly because of the size of the blanket. It measures 220cm x 160cm which means it hangs down the sides of my king size bed nicely and comes up to where the pillows start so you don't have to fold it back any.
Rainbow Ripple Crochet Blanket

I used the recognisable and well known Neat Ripple pattern form Attic 24. Many of you will be familiar with Lucy's blog as it is a treasure trove of crochet inspiration and tutorials. Thank you very much Lucy and others who take time and effort to publish tutorials. (I don't think Lucy will ever read this but anyway...)
So back to ripple. The yarn I used is Rico Design Creative Cotton, Aran weight (the blanket weighs 2.5kg! heavy...) I used 15 colours starting with white 80, pale pink 00, rose pink 64, red 05, dark orange 74, orange 76, yellow 63, olive 41, petrol 47, blue 36, turquoise 36, bright blue 39, aubergine 11, lilac 16 and pinky-red 13 (my colour names but actual colour number or 'farbe'). Each colour stripe consists of 2 rows and used 40g of yarn and took me about 2 hours to do! Sorry I can't remember how many chains I made to start, around the 325 mark. I did 2 rows of HTR around the edge to make the border, one in aubergine and the next petrol. For me that was enough to finish the blanket off and put a full stop at the end of this project. The gorgeous ripple effect and the rainbow colours speak for themselves and make this blanket what it is.

Rainbow Ripple Crochet Blanket

I started this on the 27th October 2012 ( gosh so momentous!) and finished it on Saturday (9th feb)    so taking me about 3 and a half months - not bad right?


The exciting start of this big project is posted here .


It's a great peek-a-boo blanket


maybe we could take it out on a picnic sometime

Rainbow Ripple Crochet Blanket

or use it to play as the happy rainbow colours will brighten up any grey day


or just keep it on the bed for snuggle and warmth



I tried very hard with my photos but am bit disappointed with them.

and do you know what over-riding emotion I feel at the moment?



relief that it's done.

but I am very happy with this blanket, I think it will almost become part of the family in it's usage.
Loads of my time and effort has been put in to making this blanket and I know my family appreciate that and they all say it's 'awesome' - thanks guys!!

thanks for letting me showcase my rainbow ripple

take care .....
                                                         

13 comments:

  1. Rainbowtastic Sam!! You should be SO proud of your efforts, that's a mammoth task and you've completed it in super quick time. Wish I could crochet that fast! Pics are gorg. Enjoy the adoration, you quite clearly deserve :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Sharron, you are so kind. I aspire to photos like your blog ones - so full of light and colour. If you want to pass on any photographic tips....hint hint :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. Wow wow, it's fantastic Sam....well done! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an achievement, your blanket is gorgeous.
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW. Very inspiring. If part of your mission with his blog is to inspire non-crocheters (?) to start, then it is working. Very tempted to begin x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fab blanket and it's soo huge! It's a gorgeous riot of colours though and looks so lovely laid out on your bed. Well done, you clever thing :D

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sam, I have sent you an email, but just in case it has ended up in Spam I will leave my email here: memirose@btinternet.com...

    Look forward to hearing from you.... the ripple looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful blanket, you should be so proud of all your hard work. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Thanks for the lovely comment on my blanket! And wow - your blanket is amazing!!! I can't believe how quickly you made such a huge blanket! The ripple pattern is one I've been planning to do at some point - so much inspiration, so little time!
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a gorgeous blanket. This from Lucy is also on my to-crochet-list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful that I want one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow love your colour choices, I think it's so great seeing everyone's take on ripples, stripes and granny stripes! Where did you get the creative cotton and is it pricey? It looks lovely and vibrant. Thank you for the tip re the style craft, I may have to take a trip to St Neots, I currently order from masons but worry the Royal Mail increases will make it a pricey option. Laurelin. X

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful Blanket!

    Marion

    ReplyDelete