Sunday, 24 February 2013

Colourful Cowl with Pattern


This cowl or 'snood' as my daughter calls it is by no means my original design, in fact I took inspiration from this, although I didn't use the pattern - I made my own up.


Quite a simple pattern but really effective. The yarn I used was Rico Design Baby Classic DK in colours rot / red (main colour), rosa / pink, blau / blue, vanille / vanilla or yellow, gruen / green.

I've had a few requests for the pattern, but if you're thinking of having a go, before you start
just bear in mind:
1. This is the first pattern I have written out so use it at your peril, lol. If you see any mistakes leave a comment and I will amend.
2.The cowl is worked in rounds with the right side facing you at all times.
3. I used a size 4mm hook for my foundation chain and then a size 3.5mm for all the rest.
4. Abbreviations are: tr - treble, ch - chain, ss - slip-stitch, it is UK crochet terms and when I say treble cluster I just mean 3 trebles worked into the same stitch/space.
5. I haven't made a chain stitch in between my treble clusters as I wanted a 'tighter' look, but the treble cluster of the next round is made into the gap or space between the clusters of the previous round.
6. I used red as my main colour and found I needed 2 x 50g balls of that but only 1 each of the other colours and I have some left over. ( I always find the darker colours seem thicker than the lighter ones even on the same quality yarn and use up quicker - weird)
7. It measures approx. 20cm x 164cm


So here goes...
Ch 252 and join with ss, making sure you don't twist the chain. Change to smaller hook. 
Round 1: ch 3, 2 tr in same stitch, skip 2 stitches on your foundation chain and then make 3 tr in next ch stitch. Continue around your foundation chain making clusters of 3 tr in every third ch stitch. When you get back to where you started join with a ss at the top of the 3 ch you made at the start of the round. Fasten off.

Round 2: With next colour (pink) start in between any of the tr clusters and ch 3, 2 tr. 3 tr in next gap and continue all around making a cluster of 3 trebles in the gaps between the clusters of your previous round. At end of round join with a ss at the top of the 3 ch made at the start. Fasten off.

Round 3 - Round 26: Continue with this stitch formation, changing colour on each round. My colours went red, pink, blue, yellow, green. ( you can of course adjust the number of rounds you do to suit yourself). The last round you do must be in your main colour, the one you started with. (red)

Round 27: 1 ch, dc in next tr, dc in next tr, dc in between next trebles ( a bit like when you were doing the tr clusters of the previous rounds ). dc in the middle treble of next cluster and so on all around. Join with a ss to the 1 ch made at the beg. of round. There should be 251 dc and 1 ch but I'm not gonna count them...

Round 28: 3 ch, ss into 2nd ch from hook (picot made), dc in next stitch. Ch 2, ss into 2nd chain from hook (picot), dc in next stitch. Continue making these little picots all around and when you get back to where you started join with ss into first ch made. Fasten off.


You can see from this photo that this is when I ran out of the red yarn and had to go and see the lovely Helen at All Stitches in Wilstead to buy more. Not a hardship as we always have a lovely chat and I can check out what she has new in stock :-)

Now, turn your work upside down and start working in the foundation chain you made at the start of this project, still using your main colour (red), and still with right side facing you.
Join your yarn in any gap between the treble clusters 1ch, 1dc, 1dc in the loop of the chain stitch used to do the tr clusters of the first round, 2dc in the next 'gap', 1dc in the next loop of the chain used in first round and so on all around and join with a ss in the first ch made. Again you should have 251 dc and 1 ch, but as long as it's not going all wavy I'm sure it will be ok. 

Last round: 3 ch, ss into 2nd ch from hook (picot made), dc in next stitch. Ch 2, ss into 2nd chain from hook (picot), dc in next stitch. Continue making these little picots all around and when you get back to where you started join with ss into first ch made. Fasten off.

Weave in all your ends, joy:


I didn't block mine as it seems fine as it is.

Wear with pride!


If you want a different size just make your chain longer or shorter, but make sure the amount of chains you do are divisible by both 2 and 3.

Good luck if you make yourself a cowl from my pattern, I do hope it works out ok and would love to see any photos. You can contact me on betsymakes@gmail.com

'till next time....
      

6 comments:

  1. A beautiful cowl, with gorgeous colours. The picot edge sets it off beautifully.
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it's fab! I adore the colours so much and it's a lovely cozy looking cowl too. I'm adding this to my too long list!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this pattern! Thanks for sharing. Could you please let me know what the dimensions are? Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dee, the cowl is approx. 20cm x x164cm. many thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! Lovely! Lovely!
    I loooooooooooooooooooove this cowl!!!!
    kisses from Catalonia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cowl that you have done yes is beautiful Samantha!
    Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog!
    You have made me very happy and I'm very happy to see you!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete