Tuesday, 18 December 2012

Crochet Snowflakes


I cannot think of a better title than the obvious can I? My head's not working today! (is it ever???) Anyway I thought these photos were rubbish but looking at them again today they are not too bad and will suffice for this post. Crocheting snowflakes for my Christmas tree when I should be writing cards, wrapping gifts, picking up lego, making mince pies, tidying up ..... I don't know. I blame it all on lovely Sandra from Cherry Heart and her exquisite snowflake decoration for her mantle piece. She is such an inspiration and is very good at blogging too. She combined coloured little balls with her snowflakes to make a really sweet decoration.  She was very kind to include a link to the patterns on Ravelry that she used, my there are loads of variations once you start looking. The one in the above picture is actually from 'Learn to Crochet' by Sally Harding. You can't really see it but there are little beads on the points.


For the first one I used DMC pearl coton no. 5 (an embroidery floss), and then switched to Anchor Aida 6 ply crochet thread and the hook size I choose was a minuscule 1.25. 


Once made I did use a sugar solution to stiffen the snowflakes of half cup water and 3 tablespoons of caster sugar, brought to the boil and then cooled slightly. I pinned out the snowflakes and left to dry (my tea-towel got really sticky) and they are quite stiff and hold their shape.


If I have time I will make more, and anyway I like the idea of making loads and hanging nothing but on the tree for next year, I think it will look really pretty. I will have to start making them in September.

Thank you Sandra for the inspiration. If you want the patterns follow the above link to her blog and then follow her link to the Ravelry patterns.

Have a good one!

Sx

3 comments:

  1. Aw, I'm blushing away like a good 'un over here! Thanks for such a lovely mention and I love your snowflakes. The one at the top is lovely, how did I miss that? Love the bottom pic too, with the flakes hanging amongst all the baubles, festive fabulous or what!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your pretty snowflakes, so delicate and pretty!
    I made some easy ones from a Sarah London pattern.I stiffened mine with cornflour and warm water lightly sprayed on while I was blocking them!
    Wishing you a Merry Christmas
    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These look fabulous!
    I think a tree full would be amazing!

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete